Monday, August 22, 2016

Review: Daring the Bad Boy by Monica Murphy



Daring the Bad Boy

Author: Monica Murphy
Publisher: Entangled Crush
Series: Endless Summer
Pages: Paperback, 230 pages
Genre: YA
Release Date: August 22nd 2016



Summary:

Annie McFarland is sick of being a shy nobody. A session at summer camp seems like the perfect opportunity to reinvent herself-gain some confidence, kiss a boy, be whoever she wants to be. A few days in, she's already set her sights on uber-hottie Kyle. Too bad her fear of water keeps her away from the lake, where Kyle is always hanging out.

Jacob Fazio is at Camp Pine Ridge after one too many screw-ups. Junior counseling seems like punishment enough, but the rigid no-fraternizing-with-campers rules harsh his chill. When a night of Truth or Dare gets him roped into teaching Annie how to swim, she begs him to also teach her how to snag Kyle.

Late-night swim sessions turn into late-night kissing sessions...but there's more on the line than just their hearts. If they get caught, Jake's headed straight to juvie, but Annie's more than ready to dare him to reveal the truth.

Disclaimer: This Entangled Teen Crush book contains references to drinking, sexual situations, adult language, and an intense bad boy hero who will melt your heart.





Review:

The perfect summer read

This in fact made me think about summer camp. You see I actually never went to summer camp. I don't think it exists in Switzerland. Well, maybe it does NOW, but I don't live there now (nor am I in school for that matter but anyway). There wasn't summer camp when I was growing up, let's just leave it at that. The whole summer camp reminds me of several films I liked as a teen. I kept wondering if I would have liked it in the first half of the book. To be honest I am not sure.
It does sound fun, but .. I don't know. Maybe I am too old for that now.
But what I am not too old for is reading about it. I think Murphy did an amazing job at setting the ambiance. At least how I imagine summer camp could be. And that's where my little off the track musings come in: What do people who went to summer camp think?
After finishing it though, I frankly don't care that much. Because if I know one thing, Murphy go the summer love crazy thing just right. The odd teenage dance around each other, the boys and the girls.
I love her descriptions of the summer time activities, and it did remind me of many summer holiday. Being reminded of countless hours around bonfires and daring jumps, hikes in the woods ..the feeling of endless summers. Elegantly done.

When it comes to character building, I gotta say the same thing. Murphy made me change my mind on several of the sidecast. My opinions being totally swayed by the narrator's opinion. This being told from both Jake's and Annie's POV with well chosen times for the switches. Both of them have a distinct voice, both have their own battles and insecurities. Jake being older also has a slightly more mature voice. In fact, I adore his POV.
The parents, who actually feature really little, are interesting. Because I feel like I know them, where they are coming from- a good example of Murphy's skill at character building and storytelling.

The plot is super cute
. The romance is slow and super sweet. I was loving the build up and dying for a kiss to happen. It's a great story.
My only little dislike would be the hug blow up- well not the blow up it self, but rather how quickly it all blew over. And then it was the end. I didn't want it to end! I also wanted them to have to fight more, it's this big huge drama and then it's sorted and the book is done. Did I say I didn't want it to end? Well, I didn't, so I am beyond grateful for the epilogue.
And now I am hoping there will be more book set at the camp?
Also I am planning on reading the companion novel Keeping Her Secret, because I want more summer camp fun but also I wanna see what happens to Kelsey.

A must read for lovers of cute&fluffies. Guaranteed summer romance fix.


Rating: 









No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...