Thursday, October 20, 2016

Review: While the Duke Was Sleeping by Sophie Jordan


While the Duke Was Sleeping

Author: Sophie Jordan
Publisher: Avon
Series: The Rogue Files #1
Pages: Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Genre: Historical Romance
Release Date: October 25th 2016



Summary:

Sometimes the man of your dreams . . .

Shop girl Poppy Fairchurch knows it’s pointless fantasizing about the Duke of Autenberry. Still, dreams can’t hurt anyone . . . unlike the carriage Poppy spies bearing down upon the unsuspecting duke. After she pulls him to safety, the duke lapses into a coma and Poppy is mistaken for his fiancĂ©e. But one person isn’t fooled: his arrogant and much too handsome half-brother, Struan Mackenzie. Soon Poppy isn’t sure what she wants more . . . the fantasy of her duke or the reality of one smoldering Scot who challenges her at every turn.

. . . is not who you think.

An illegitimate second son, Struan may have built an empire and established himself as one of the wealthiest men in Britain, but he knows he will always be an outsider among the ton. Just like he knows the infuriating Poppy is a liar. There’s no way the haughty Duke of Autenberry would deign to wed a working class girl. It doesn’t matter how charming she is. Or tempting. Or how much Struan wants her for himself.




Review:

A new take on While You Sleeping. Well new as in a new storyline, it's after all a historical.
To be honest, I am not a huge fan of the movie. I mean it's sweet and all, I did enjoy it, but I did only watch it only once and that's years ago so the details are rather fuzzy. Hence I wouldn't be able to tell if a die-hard-fan of the movie would find this novel adequate or not. I however did enjoy the storyline even if it all seems to have happened terribly fast.

I really enjoyed the toying and back and forth between Struan and Poppy. But I also wish there was more banter. Alas Poppy in all her sweetness isn't really the banter type.
Still her sweetness and good opinion was a wonderful character trait even if she was a total dreamer with her head in the clouds at the beginning. While in the beginning I found it difficult to relate to Poppy, with her seeing the world through pink glasses and all, I quickly grew to care for her and like her.
Struan was a great male lead. I love his struggles and roughness, his gentleness and compassion, but also his honesty and the fact that he does care, even if he claims not to. A interesting alpha male showing the other side of aristocracy, the effects of careless male behaviour at the time.
The character building of the MCs is splendid. They are multifaceted and interesting characters, I feel like I gotten to know and understand them over the story.
The support cast however, while interesting and intriguing left me a bit iffy. I feel like they were just that, the support. Each of them just enforcing whatever the MCs felt or went through. I mean Bryony for example, while on the one hand she is perfectly written 15yr old, I didn't quite see where her change of heart came from nor did I expect it. I did obviously applaud it, but it left me baffled. The same with the dowager. The changes made no sense to me. I do hope there will be books about them ALL though, because I did like this little group of people and the setup is really clever.

As expected this is beautifully written, the descriptions of the setting feels authentic, the emotions real... This is after all written by Jordan. And frankly I would have been shocked if it were different.

I really enjoyed While The Duke Was Sleeping. There are fantastic moments and I adore Struan and Poppy. But somehow something was missing- and I can't put my finger exactly on what- and I felt at the end that I expected somewhat more. I am not sure what. I am not even sure if it's just to do with my mood? *shrugs* oh well. Anyway. It's enjoyable, hotilicous and intriguing. So mostly what I want in a historical!
An interesting start to a new series. I can't wait to read more!

Rating: 




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...